Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Granary

I left a 4 lb bag of brown rice encased in thick and strong plastic on a clothes drying rack (brand name Jasmine cargo rice) in late October. On December 5 I went away with the 3 cats as entourage leaving the house unoccupied. On my return on January 1 I decided to put things in some appropriate order and so pick up this bag of rice and was surprised at the light weight;it was cleanly empty. I saw two holes, the larger the size of a quarter and the other half the diameter of a dime. Not a grain in the bag or spilled on the floor. Admiringly,I showed the plastic bag to Ian and Sarah, whereupon Sarah said that she found brown rice in a shoe box containing letters, and thought that this was my way of keeping letters fragrant. Today she found a mound of rice behind the books on the shelf in an adjacent room. I would have love to have had a camera installed to record such industry. Not a grain on the routes from granary to caches.

2 comments:

  1. What else have they to do but be industrious? Survival works at cross purposes with leisure. Imagine their delight at the find of the bag of rice, however.

    ReplyDelete