Monday, January 2, 2012

Re reading Sputnik Sweetheart

A slight case of withdrawal has driven me to do this. My mother's TV channels are in at least a dozen languages but the contents did not grab me except the ROK's soap opera. The actors are lovely and talented and the English subtitles are very sophisticated. It was very easy to be drawn into  the " Jane Austen" type of drama with Korean architecture and countryside. No nudity and no physical violence. Also very sparse furnishing in the rooms. There is no Korean flavour in Fraser's Mills but I remembered that in Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart there is a character who is Korean, born and raised in Japan, but does not speak Korean. Murakami's style is also rather sparse. So in quiet desperation I am enjoying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment