Friday, April 25, 2014

Where will Scrabble lead me?

To the garden of multiple vowels where fellow pedants stroll? A womb is a room I am willing to stretch to uterus but uteri. I don't have latin roots; not even mandarin. Just scratching on the surface, when I was aghast to encounter the word "arenose", on the scrabble board. Compulsive as ever, I had to look it up and it is not in the dictionary. Well ancient learning came to my aid and I remember a sugar, mannose, and became more disposed to it. No not right, the thicker dictionary gave the meaning of "arenose" as sandy. That's the Romans for you.
Another Anglo-saxon word "whore" is pegged as "hetaira" in my Scrabble world, for when I am given too many vowels. Hetaira sounds elegant and is not run of the mill. Into this, could be addictive, online scrabbling I was able to put in "anaconda" which earned me an extra 50 points. A snake always up the ante.    

No comments:

Post a Comment